[ * 1851 Canada West (Ontario) Census, Glengarry Co, Kenyon Twp, Library and Archives Canada, RG31, Microfilm No. C-11722, District 10, Subdistrict 82 ; As of Monday, 11-Jan-1852]:
All listed were members of the family living on Concession 9, Lot 16, Glengarry Co, Kenyon Twp:
- Living in a 1-family, 1-storey log home (except Margaret McCuaig, No 13, who had died in 1851).
- The religion of all is C.S. (Church of Scotland).
- All (except Donald McCuaig, No 1), were born of Canadian parents.
- All were present on 11-Jan-1852, except for John, Donald, and John, who were living elsewhere.
1. McCuaig, Donald: Farmer; Born in Scotland; Age 50 on Next Birthday (NB); Male; Married.
>> 2. Dewer, Sally: Farmer; Age 48 NB; Female; Married. [Dewer is her maiden name] <<<
3. McCuaig, Catherine: [No Occupation]; Age 26 NB; Female; Single.
4. --, John: L (Labourer?); Living in Caledonia [Twp, Prescott Co]; Age 23 NB: Male; Single.
5. --, Donald: Labourer; Living in Lochiel [Twp, Glengarry Co]; Age 21 NB; Male; Single.
6. --, Isabella: [No Occupation]; Age 19 NB; Female; Single.
7. --, John: Labourer; Living in Lochiel [Twp, Glengarry Co]; Age 16 NB; Male; Single.
8. --, Christy: Labourer; Age 14 NB; Female; Single.
9. --, William: Labourer; Age 13 NB; Male; Single; Attending School.
10. --, Duncan: Labourer; Age 11 NB; Male; Single.
11. --, Catherine: Labourer; Age 8 (NB); Female; Single.
12. --, Flory: Labourer; Age 7 (NB); Female; Single.
13. --, Margaret: Female; Age 3 (NB); Died During 1851; Cause of Death: Carlet (?) Fever.
See Jim Donaldson's notes on Page 16 of "McCuaig Families, Some Reminiscences" regarding Rachel McCuaig's obituary after her death on 16 Jan 1928 at Vankleek Hill, Ontario at age 76. Rachel McCuaig was the sister of Catherine McCuaig (daughter of John McCuaig and Sarah Fraser; wife of William McCuaig (who is son of Donald McCuaig and Sarah DEWAR). Rachel's obituary is reported to say she was "born in Caledonia" which means in Prescott Co in Eastern Ontario, and died in Vankleek Hill (just North of Caledonia Twp). One of Rachel's pall bearers was an Alex. Dewar. Jim Donaldson also found [at p 52] a death notice clip in Rachel's album for a Roderick Dewar, Caledonia Twp, Prescott Co, Ontario, died 4 May 1891 at age 74 [birth c. 1817]. Question: could Roderick Dewar be a younger brother of Sarah Dewar?
1. Death certificate of son William McCuaig reports mother Sarah Dewar born in Lochiel, Glengarry.
William McCuaig, born 7 May 1837 - died 12 Mar 1920, Age: 82 yrs, 10 mos, 6 days.
White, Male, Married to Katherine McCuaig [Informant]
Born in Caledonia, Ontario, Canada.
Residence: Adams Ave.
Father: Donald McCuaig, born in Scotland.
Mother's maiden name: Sarah Dewar, born in Lochiel, Glengarry [Ontario, Canada]. <<<
Cause of death: Senility, uremic poisoning.
Burial: Oscoda, 14 Mar 1920.
2, 1866 marriage record for (2nd) Catherine McCuaig, b.c. 1844, lists her parents as Donald McQuaig and Sarah Dewer.
3. IGI Records for Isobel McCuaig (b 17-Dec-1832, Christened 04-Feb-1833, Williamstown, Glengarry, Ontario) and
Margaret McCuaig (b 06-Jun-1848, Christened 08-Oct-1848, Williamstown, Glengarry, Ontario) list parents for both
as Father: Donald McCuaig and Mother: Sarah Dewar.
[QUESTION: Did Sarah Dewar die after 1851 Census and Donald then married Marion? Could Sarah Dewar be Marion McCuaig? Marion appears in 1861, 1871, and 1881 censuses.]
[ * 1861 Canada West (Ontario) Census, Kenyon Twp, Glengarry Co., p 61]:
Family was living in a one-story log home. All (except Donald, Sr.) were born in Canada. All belonged to the Free Church. Age is next birthday. All are single except Donald and Mariion.
1. McCuaig, Donald: Born Scotland, Male, Married, Age 60, Occupation: ?. [b.c. 1802]
?? 2. --, Marion: Wife, Female, Married, Age 55. [b.c. 1806] ???
3. --, Donald: Male, Age 30, Weaver. [b.c. 1832]
4. --, Catherine: Female, Age 36, Spinster. [b.c. 1825]
5. --, John: Male, Age 32, Labourer. [b.c. 1830]
6. --, Isabella: Female, Age 27, Spinster. [b.c. 1835]
7. --, Christy: Female, Age 25, Spinster. [b.c. 1837]
8. --, Duncan: Male, Age 19, Labourer. [b.c. 1843]
9. --, William: Male, Age 21, Labourer. [b.c. 1841]
10. --, Catherine: Female, Age 17, Spinster. [b.c. 1845]
11. --, Flora: Female, Age 16, Spinster. [b.c. 1844]
12. --, Ann: Female, Age 6. [b.c. 1856]
13. --, John: Male, Age 6. [b.c. 1856]
[NOTES: This family lines up well with the 1851 census except:
- Wife in 1861 is "Marion McCuaig." What happened to 1851 wife, Sarah (Sally) Dewar?
- One "John McCuaig", born c. 1836, is missing.
- Two 6 year olds, Ann and John, are new. Who is the mother? May be unwed twin children of Catherine.]
Three families, living side-by-side. All Born in Ontario [except Marion MacCuaig], All Scotch Origins and Presbyterian religion.
1. MacCuaig, John: Male, Age 40 [b.c. 1831], Farmer, Married, Unable to write (can read).
2. --, Catherine: Female, Age 30 [b.c. 1841], Married, Can read and write. [This is Catherine McCrimmon]
? 1. MacCuaig, Marion: Female, Age 60 [b.c. 1811], Born in Scotland, Widowed, Cannot read or write. ?
2. --, Donald: Male, Age 34 [b.c. 1837], Single, Unable to write (can read).
3. Wakefield, Maggie: Female, Age 10 [b.c. 1861], Single, Going to school, Can read and write.
1. MacCuaig, Catherine: Female, Age 45 [b.c. 1826], Seamstress, Single, Cannot read or write.
2. --, Ann: Female, Age 15 [b.c. 1856], Single, Going to school, Can read and write.
3. --, Angus: Male, Age 15 [b.c. 1856], Single, Can read and write.
[ * 1881 Canada Census, Kenyon, Glengarry Co, Roll C_13226, Page 57, Family 202]:
All Born in Ontario, Presbyterian religion, and Scotch origins.
1. McCuaige, Donald: Male, Age 50 [b.c. 1831], Labourer, Married.
2. --, Rachel: Female, Age 26 [b.c. 1855], Married.
? 3. --, Marion: Female, Age 77 [b.c. 1804], Widowed. ?