History of Beaver Springs, Penna, and Centennial Souvenir Book. Published in Commemoration of the Celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Founding of the Town. 1806-1906

Move
Zoom

Text from Document

HISTORY OF BEAVER SI’RJNOS site (if Adamshurg or as it is now f allid Beaver Springs, from the fact of the numerous excellent springs in and surrounding the place. The one owned by L. R. Haines deserves especial mention because of it being an exceptionally fine spring with pure refreshing water and is well worth beholding. In the year 1S(Hi a town was laid out by Adam Reager, a native of (¡ermany, near what then was called Beaver Dam, so named from the fact that the cunning little animals of that name had built a largo dam three-fourths or a mile above the mouth of Beaver run, now called Bea- ver creek, in Penn’s township, Northumberland county. Mr. Reager settled on the farm now owned by Samuel Sliirey, and the new town in honor of Mr. Reager was called or named Reagerstown, and was known by that name for many years; then was changed to the name of Adams- burg. Adam Rtager was born Oct. 11, 1740, died March 17, lS2(», aged THE OLD STONE MANSION Built in 1815 on the Site no-w Occupied by Christ Reformed Church. (Photo by O. M. Klose.) i;7 years, 3 months and (> days. ('harlotte Reager, his wife, was born Jan. 5ia, 17.55, died Sept. 17, l.SllO, aged 75 years, 7 months and 22 days. Their bodies repose side by side in the old cemetery at this place. Of their descendents there is nothing known as they have long since moved from this section. Some of the early settlers of the place and vicinity we find to have been the Reagers, Clicks, Aiglers, Oberdorfs, Swangers, Dreeses, Rushos and others. Among the first dwellings in and near the village were located as follows: One on the farm owned by Reuben l>reese,now farmed by Jacob Fel- ker, and was situated west of the present dwelling; it was a log house

About This Document

Uploaded:
Total pages:
160
Description:
This document has no additional description.