Try Mocavo Gold Risk-Free!

Try Mocavo Gold — Risk Free!

Upgrade to Mocavo Gold to search billions of names and save time having
to search through multiple ancestry sites to research your family history.

Try Mocavo Gold »

A Brief History of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Spring City, Pa : Together With, Sketches of the Other Leading Churches of the Town


Text from Document

Originally the land in this vicinity was a part of the Old
William Penn Grant. As early as 1682 we find that Professor
Thomas Holme, surveyor general of William Penn, made a
map of the “Improved Parts of Pennsylvania.” In this map
the sections now included in the Vincent Townships are given
in the names of “Sr. Matthias Vincent, Adrian Vrouzen,
Benja, Furloy, Dr. Daniel Coxe.” On November 22, 1686,
Dr. Daniel Coxe of London “being siezed of a tract of 10,-
000 acres in Pennsylvania, lying between two rivers, called
Vincent River, and Schuylkill River, ordered the same to be
divided into two equal parts, each containing 5000 acres.”
From the 5000 acres along the “Schuylkill” River he granted
1000 acres to a Mr. John Clapp, “of the Province of Caro-
lina, in America.” For this land Mr. Clapp was to pay to
the said Daniel Coxe “a grain of corn yearly for the first six
years, and afterward the yearly rent of £4 6s.”
The Vincent River referred to above is now French
Creek. This region hereabouts took its name from “Sr.
Matthias Vincent.” The land was known for a number of
years as “Coxe and Company’s 20,000 acres.” The earliest
settlers of the Vincents were soon supplanted by the Ger-
mans, many of whose descendants still are in possession of the
lands which have been handed down through the lapse of
years. Among the names of these early land owners we find

About This Document

02 Mar 2013
Total pages:
At head of title: 1845 - 1899 Includes index 16

Document Source

Jones, Jacob K

[s.l. : s.n.]
Internet Archive